HAPPY HOLIDAYS - 2012 in review - and here's to 10 years!
Thanks to all who have participated in our journey and to those will join us for the next stretch!
Speaking to our founder and President, Alex Asianov, I was reminded of the legend of DOOR3 past. The company started in 2002, with the shadow of 9/11 still cast over the country’s economy and mood. Offices were first located at Alex’s house and then a small, windowless space on Broad Street, but even at that early stage, offerings spanned a range of project types considered essential for a full-service consultancy: user experience-focused projects, technical architecture and application development, and strategic business transformation services. Clients included Patricia Cromwell, ContextWeb, Press Ganey, and Studley (a US-wide B2B real-estate company specializing in law firm relocation).
By 2005, we were working with an increasing number of large, long-term clients, including The Community Preservation Corporation for which we designed and built a comprehensive mortgage banking back office transactional platform, and Crown Holdings for which we served as digital marketing agency of record for six years.
In 2008, we became FreshDirect’s agency of record for mobile strategy and execution, expanding mobile capabilities and expanding the offering to the Android platform. At this point, we began to refine our strategic vision for our clients. We were also influenced by our growing expertise in enterprise architecture and the advent of corporate social media as a knowledge platform.
We now offer multi-channel, multi-platform strategy that encompases complex, global CMS solutions with document and data management, social media, knowledge management, and business process automation (workflow), all guided by business consulting services and wrapped in exceptional user experience design. We enjoy working with our clients on previously defined, tactical digital projects as well as strategic transformation initiatives. We tackle back-office operations challenges as well as front-office interfaces (mobile, tablet, Web) for a wide variety of clients and industries, both B2B and B2C.
2012 has been a busy year of growth and change for DOOR3. We started the year off in our overcrowded offices on West 29th Street of New York City with return clients and partners, including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Acquia, Bobbi Brown, Christie’s, Coty, Crown Holdings, EMC, ESI Design, Fresh Direct, IDG Strategic Marketing Services, TSG Court Reporting, and Qello. We also developed exciting new clients and partnerships such as Aarong, DraftStreet, Deluxe Media Group, IDT, Internap, Fitch Ratings, Pantheon, Peterson Management, Relay Network, and Videology. The market has continued to reaffirm that our offering is on target: a full-service consulting firm at a boutique scale that can provide focus, strategic value, delivery, and results to cutting-edge SMBs and Fortune-500 firms alike.
In addition to client-facing work, we were busy with other strategic and operational priorities; here’s a quick run-down of what happened for DOOR3 in 2012:
- We are enjoying our established Mobile Practice - planning, design and development for native apps as well as Mobile Web.
- We have moved offices to a much more spacious one in downtown NYC.
- We opened an office in London, UK and expanded staff presence to Tampa, FL.
- We enjoyed another nearly 100% growth in 2012.
- We formalized our departments and offerings in Business Analysis and Project Management, Mobile Practice, Drupal, Sharepoint and Front-end Development.
- We added a technology and UX oversight practice to our Enterprise service offering.
- All of this benefits from continued growth and success in our User Experience Design department.
- We enjoyed community activities such as hitting our fundraising goal running the Komen Race for the Cure and hosting learning sessions for Walkabout NYC.
- We now have a mobile presence to help demonstrate our responsive design capabilities.
- We host cross-department workshops, such as "Responsive Design for Non-Developers.”
- We have recognized the growing specialty of Front-End development and formalized a dedicated team that serves projects from Open Source to Mobile Web to Microsoft.
- We added a wide variety of clients to our roster, ranging from non-profits such as La Guardia School of the Arts and Stonybrook Research Foundation to well-known brands such as Bel-Ray, DraftStreet and World Wrestling Entertainment, to B2B companies Deluxe Media Technologies, Patrina Corporation, Videology and IDT.
Today most of our staff of over 60 people now sit in downtown New York City at our 22 Cortlandt Street location. Rather than sitting in the shadow of 9/11 as we did in the beginning, we now enjoy a view of the memorial site, its fountains and the on-going area construction to serve as a metaphor for the design and engineering we do. We have a satellite office in London, UK, and we have staff presence in Russia, Uruguay and Florida. We are heading into another year of anticipated rapid growth, complemented by a continued rise in the sophistication and comprehensiveness of our services. We could not have done it without our friends, partners, and clients and their patronage and trust.